background

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Crafts

This summer my dad bought me a sewing machine, and last Christmas I went through my mom's stash of stuff and started my own stash of materials and threads. With my mom's help I made a bunch of things for baby.

First I made this Hooter Hider for my sister Tracy. My mom helped a lot. I think it turned out really cute and I'm so excited to give it to her this weekend.We even put in a pocket on the underside for nursing pads and pacifiers and stuff.
Then I made her another one. We weren't sure if she was having a boy or a girl, and I felt this would have worked for either gender. It's still feminine for my sister, but could work for a little boy. She ended up having a girl, so it doesn't really matter. I didn't actually have a big enough piece of material for this one, so I made a ruffle in order to make it long enough. I think it turned out pretty well for a first time doing anything like this.
I know this picture is blurry, but I wanted to be able to see the design stitch I did around all the edges.
And here's a picture of the pocket.

My next project was making changing pads for our baby. When we first brought our little guy home, the only changing pad we had was pink. For some reason we thought that making our own would be better than buying a new one. It definitely cost a whole lot more, and it was a really hard project, even though it seems so easy. I was initially really upset with the finished product, but now I've gotten over it and am glad we have the 3 I made. I just know I'll never do it again.

















I made 2 green ones and 1 BYU one.
My most recent project was making a cover for our baby's car seat. I spent hours trying to find patterns I could follow and understand. I also spent about 4 hours trying to figure out how to do a cool looking edging. Once I finally figured out how to do it, I realized I didn't have enough material. It hangs a little low in the front, but other than that, I'm pretty excited about the end result.
front view
side viewthe inside and bottom material
up close with the buttons
We wanted the blue button to help bring out the blue in the material.
So there you have it. It's nice to have knocked a few things off the crafty to-do list.
What crafts have you done lately?

1 comment:

  1. i love the car seat cover. i want one. can you show me/help me?

    ReplyDelete