Unlike my unofficial 5K that I ran with my sister last August, after 3 months of training, I wasn't able to run the whole thing. For one, Joe's pacing is way faster than mine or my sisters. I told him he didn't have to stick with me, but he wanted to do it together, so that was fine too. I was able to run the first 15 minutes without stopping, which got us just past the 1-mile marker. Then we walked for 2 minutes while I took off my sweatshirt and re-pinned my race bib. Then we ran for another 5 minutes before I needed to walk again, which was another 1 1/2 minutes. Joe was then hoping we could run for 7 or 8 minutes, but I didn't last that long. Shortly after passing the 2-mile marker, I needed to walk. I didn't time that that stretch, but I know where it was on the course (aka, the paved road). Once we turned off the paved road and back on to the gravel, I was able to run the rest of the way, which was probably about 3/4 of a mile or so.
Our final time was 41:40.
As far as out-running a cop, (they had all the police guys start 3 minutes after the rest of us), we only saw 4 pass us. Granted, we don't know how many there were to begin with, but it seemed like a bigger group than that. So, we're pretty sure we outran at least one, maybe more. :) If they do this next year, I'm totally dressing us up in black and white striped shirts, with little bandit masks. :)
It was a great turnout, and I loved that though the police department was just doing a fundraiser, they turned it into something a bit more meaningful for the community. There were plenty of kids/students from the school, who all liked saying hello to Joe. And of course, several of them didn't hesitate to tell us how slow we were because they ran faster than us. :)
I couldn't walk for the rest of the day. Totally killed my calves. But by the next day, I was totally fine. I even wore heels to church. :)
Joe is hoping we can get our pace to under 35 minutes by the end of summer. We shall see!
No comments:
Post a Comment