background

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Saying Goodbye

In February, one of Joe's most sincerest wishes finally came true. And I said good-bye to a good, old, trustworthy friend - my purple-ish coat.
It may all seem silly. I'm sure it actually is. But I loved this coat. I have had it since high school. I don't remember which year. But I remember my parents buying it for me over the Thanksgiving break when we were in Fairfield (like always), and we were shopping at the Vacaville Outlets with my cousins and aunt and uncle. Within a short period of time, a couple holes were burned into the bottom because the coat was stuffed into the trunk and the light in there burned the coat. I seriously hadn't had it for very long. I don't remember when, but the bottom velcro ripped off, so I only had the top velcro patch to use.  It had this awesome zipper in the sleeve, and I used to put smartees and tootsie rolls in there to eat during early morning seminary to help me stay awake. That kinda makes me think I've had this since Freshmen or Sophomore year, but like I already said, I don't exactly remember. 
I loved this coat because I could always maintain my temperature in it. Which also means that I never took it off (unless it was wet from the rain.) I would wear the coat all through the day at school, and all afternoon at home until it was time to get ready for bed. I wore this coat all through college. 
Every boyfriend I ever had (not that there were many) HATED this coat, due to the fact that I never took it off. Joe has been the biggest fan of getting rid of it. He always complained that it "wasn't cuddly." I always told him (well, all of them) that they were out of luck. I loved my coat and it wasn't coming off or going away. 
When Joe & I were engaged and I was away studying in Jerusalem, after I had been gone a month or so, Joe confessed one day that he had actually pulled it out of his closet and put it on because it smelled like me and then he didn't miss me so much. I've loved that story. 

Well, we took a trip down to Sidney and walked around the really big Cabella's. I finally agreed that it was time to look at a new coat, and I found this one for really cheap. I like cheap.
I will admit, there have been a few times that I have missed my purple coat. But in general, this new one is doing fine. It is more obvious when it gets dirty, and that just counteracts my laziness. But it is comfy and warm.

So here's to making new memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment