As my title suggests, there are 2 things on my mind today. Or maybe I should say "people" instead of "things." I guess I could even be more specific and refer to them as different parts of my family.
First off, today is my niece Adelynne's 4th birthday.
First off, today is my niece Adelynne's 4th birthday.
| Adelynne, Katie, Amy, Heather |
When Tracy was going into labor, I was in California; I had just finished spring term at BYU, and went home to work on mission papers. My mom and I were planning to drive out to Utah for the baby's arrival, but I had already decided that I wasn't going to stay in the room for the delivery. I don't do well with pain, and I REALLY don't do well when I see my sister in pain, so I planned to just wait outside for the bundle of joy to make her entrance. It turned out that my mom and I left California around midnight and travelled all night long. We got to the hospital just as they were giving Tracy the epideral. For the next few hours we played games and talked and did who knows what. I remember when nurses would come in to check on her, they would try and hide things from me because they figured I would be uncomfortable with my sister in her current "condition." Little did they know that we had shared a room our entire lives, and there wasn't anything to be embarrassed about. Mom and I both took naps on the windowsills, and when I finally woke up, I woke up to my sister being in labor. There were nurses and doctors coming in and out and no way for me to leave the room without getting in the way. So I stayed put and was actually present when Adelynne was born.
Ok, so that is my "Ode to Adelynne." I'm wishing I could be back in CA today celebrating with the family. I haven't even been away from them for a week, and I miss them already.
Like I said, there is another part of my family that is on my mind today. This part of my family, however, is not actually blood related. Today, I'm thinking about my Schram Family - Peter, Lucy, Quincy, Braedon, Samantha, and Zabrina Jade.
I have a long, interesting, and very unique relationship with this family. Lucy was my middle school band teacher. She had just married Peter the summer before she started teaching at Magnolia Intermediate School. My mom actually took our family to the board meeting when she was hired. Band was the first time that Tracy and I had class together. I thought Lucy was the greatest teacher in the world. For a first impression, I thought Pete was a little strange, and funny too. In 8th grade, I really started to get to know them better, and spent time out of class with them. I cried when I had to go to high school because I adored them so much.
Greatfully, middle school wasn't the end of our relationship. Quincy was born right before I started my sophomore year of high school. I started babysitting him when he was only a week old. He loved me! And I loved it! We had so much fun together! Braedon was born my senior year, while I was student teaching with Lucy. They were MY BOYS! I was their Mamy.
After I graduated, my family moved and I went away to school. But we stayed in touch. There were almost weekly phone calls, letters, emails, post cards, and I visited as often as I could. One Christmas break Pete and I surprised Lucy and I stayed with them for a week. And for one summer, I lived with them for 2 months. That was when Lucy was pregnant with Samantha.
| Me dancing with Samantha at my wedding |
| My cousin's son Thomas, with Braedon and Quincy being helpful at my wedding reception |
I remember the heartbroken look on Peter's face when he learned that he couldn't actually be at my wedding ceremony, because I was choosing to be married in the LDS temple. I also remember all the questions he and Lucy had about me going on a mission. There was so much concern and hope and love that I felt from them as we said goodbye.
| With Quincy, Braedon, and Samantha for the last time before going on my mission |
It was right before I left the MTC that I received a letter from Lucy that she was expecting baby #4. No matter what I did, I couldn't convince them to name her Amy.
Nowadays, I don't see the Schram family very often. Nor do I talk to them on the phone or email them as much as I should. And today, of all days, it's effecting me a little more. I tried to get in touch with them while I was home visiting for 2 weeks, but unfortunately it didn't work out. Today I got a phone call from Pete. He updated me on the past year, school for the kids, work, activities, all that sort of thing. I can't believe how old all the kids are getting - they are growing up and I'm missing it.
I know writing this blog post does nothing to help the Schram family, but I feel like it is helping me. I enjoy writing about memories and people that are special to me. It helps me feel closer to them; it helps my heart express what I can't verbally.
Get Well Soon Pete!
I love you, Amy. I love you for more reasons than you will ever know. I especially love you because you are one of the kindest, most considerate, compassionate people I have ever known. There's a million other things I want to say. Just know that you are incredible and I miss you more than words can say!
ReplyDeleteThanks, sis! Thanks for making me choke back tears ;-) Everything you wrote is beautiful and eloquently written. I love you!
ReplyDeleteHey you cutie-pie!
ReplyDeleteI remember when your sis went into labor and how you and your mom drove as fast as possible to UT to get there in time!!!! Can't believe the baby is 4 now, how time flies!
I am going to add your blog to mine.. sorry I didn't do it sooner.
So fun to see that you started a blog too. You are a wonderful aunt. Aunts are such an amazing blessing in life.
ReplyDeleteAmy! I didn't know you had a blog... I love all your pictures... you were such a gorgeous bride! love you... oh and I do remember Jason and Emily, tell them "hello" for me!
ReplyDelete