background

Sunday, December 15, 2013

yellow

So my dad reminded me tonight that I've got to keep track of Brek's stories so we can remember them for years to come. Poor kid. :)

I guess you can say that Brek has noticed the differences of skin color between him and well, EVERYONE. Part of that, I think, is come due to the Christmas presents we've been making for all of our family members. Without spoiling it, each person's gift represents each individual person in our large extended family. So yes, Brek's is a dark brown color, while the rest of ours are, well, light colored.

Brek has been calling our skin color "yellow" for months now. A while back, he said, "When I grow up and get bigger, I'll be yellow like you and Daddy." It seems I'm trying to convince him we love him brown, as much as we are assuring him that we love him as a boy and he's not a girl. (You know, that whole identity thing that toddlers are trying to figure out.)

Wanting to be yellow has happened several times. Today, he found some chalk at church and started drawing on his face so he could be yellow like everyone else.


He's definitely a special boy, and we love him the way he is. (Plus, we WANTED him to be brown, so you know, we're not disappointed in that.at.all.)  I hope someday he'll really understand how special he is, and that he really is meant and intended to be the size, shape, and color he is.

Anyway, just saving the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment