Before, Brek would wake up at about 7 am. Sometimes earlier. Rarely later. (I LOVED those glorious mornings when I could sleep until 8!) Then he would go down for a nap sometime between 10 and 11:30. I know, wide window. It really was just based on when his whiney and crankiness set in. During that time we'd do breakfast, I'd check the computer for all the things I'd missed overnight. Usually I'd watch a tv show. (I'm being pretty honest here with my lazy parenting skills - no judging please.) :) We'd read books. Play with blocks. And then he'd usually get to watch his Elmo show before going down, because seriously, this kid is obsessed, or "dedicated" as we've all read on Pinterest.
His naps would last a minimum of an hour and a half. Sometimes they would last up to 3 hours. I usually got bored during the long ones, but loved them all the same. While he napped I would get some more computer time, shower, get dressed, cross-stitch, watch more tv, and/or nap. (Because really, it depended on the day as to what and how much got done.)
When he woke up, lunch time, get dressed, (YES, I kept my kid in his pjs all morning, and I was too. That's my style. In fact, it's 1 pm and I'm still not dressed or showered today, but I've been cleaning the house, so that's today's excuse.) Anyway, and then the afternoon would start all over with us trying to get along and interact and then sometimes doing the opposite. The life of this mommy.
Well, since daylight savings, we haven't been getting up until 8, or somewhere in between 8 and 9:30. I'm pretty sure he's been up earlier each morning, but I haven't heard him and so I don't get up until he gets really loud, even tho our bedrooms are right next door.
The morning routine is still pretty much the same, but with such a later wake-up time, we get lunch in before the nap happens. And so far his naps have been at least 2 hours or more with this schedule.
This of course means I'm getting showered and dressed much later too. Not that it really bothers me, but it feels a lot different. I mean, I should be thrilled with all this extra sleep I'm getting, and I am, but still, for some reason, I don't like it as much. Not that I can do anything about it. But that's what a blog is for - to express myself and my thoughts.
If I ever needed the car for a day, I'd always save my errands for the afternoon, after nap and lunchtime. Now I'll need to do them in the morning, and yet, I've got to figure out when and how to sneak shower and dress time in (usually that's when Elmo comes in). It's just changes.
Church will be the most difficult I think, because we have afternoon church, plus choir before that - prime nap time. We'll see who survives tomorrow. :)
Anyway, now that I've cleaned the apartment, it's time to utilize the rest of today's nap time and get my hot shower and respectable clothes on for the day.
Because we all know that rubber duckies in cool shades are awesome, but well,
not what you want your neighbor to see you wearing. :)
Happy Napping everyone!
I loved reading your sarcastic humor in this post. And you are a GREAT mommy, pjs or not. :)
ReplyDeleteIt is harder to get things done with the afternoon nap. But when its a day at home that you don't need to worry about, (like most days) I think it is awesome.
I mostly didn't function well with kids those ages :) (Okay, I'll admit -- "function" is a pretty loose term in our home.) B will grow up remembering Elmo and blocks with Mom more than whether you wore jammies "too late" in the day ;)
ReplyDeleteMissed you today! <3