background

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Ode to my Sisters

So, I started this post several weeks ago when my sister had a birthday. But I had a hard time getting pictures to load, so I saved it and gave up. I didn't come back to it until now, when my sister-in-law had a birthday as well. So, I'm dedicating this post to the 2 of them. I must say, I'm probably the luckiest person in the world when it comes to sisters.

My sister-in-law Rachel is awesome! I have known her since I was about 11. Her dad used to come and fix our computers, and she would tag along. My first year at Girls Camp when I was 12, she had me as her "secret sister." It was actually a pretty hard week for me; I was feeling left out and lonely, but each day I would get a thoughtful gift and note from someone that knew me and was thinking about me. It made Girls Camp a positive experience. The next year, she was actually my "big sister." I've adored her ever since!

My dad has wanted her to marry my big brother Mark since about that time, when they were 14 and 15. He really got serious about it when they went off to college and Mark was on his mission. The idea made me really mad, and I would explode any time my dad would bring it up. She was MY friend, and I didn't want to give her up to my brother. Luckily I had those 2 years of Mark being away that I could get used to the idea; I finally realized that having a sister-in-law that I actually liked would be a good thing. She is a great addition to our family and I am grateful for her for many reasons, but here's a few for now:
1) She brings a softer side to my brother, and as a little sister, that's always a good idea.
2) She likes to laugh and have fun.
3) She is caring and thoughtful of others. She likes to make suggestions but isn't offended if things go another way.
4) She is patient and loving.
5) She has 3 beautiful daughters! (And one of them shares my middle name!)
6) She is a great cook!
7) She always looks for the positive, and doesn't judge others because of differences.
8) She is fun to talk to.
9) Family is important to her, and that is important to me.
10) She is a hard worker, and always willing to help. She'll accept help when offered it too!

I loving being with Rachel and love having her as a sister and part of the Biggs family!
My sister Tracy is probably the greatest gift I have. I think this quote sums it up perfectly: "God knew I loved you too much to just be my friend, so he let me be your sister." I definitely owe everything to her.
Tracy has been my best friend since forever, and besides my dear husband, she's the one friend I know I can count on at anytime, for the rest of my life.
She is forgiving and understanding. She is quick to forgive and does not hold grudges.
She offers good advice and counsel.
She is so fashionable and cute! I love her style!
She has some adorable daughters and one mystery baby on the way.
She even named her 2nd daughter after me - not sure there is any greater compliment a person can pay you.
She is beautiful, inside and out.
She loves to love.
She likes to have fun! We enjoy playing games and being silly in our own way.
I love our opportunities to chat and talk about whatever is on our mind.
She doesn't mind when I cry.
She is willing to sacrifice for others.
She married a pretty amazing guy. I have to say that brother-in-laws don't come any awesomer. (Yes, awesomer is now a real word.) Well, I think that sums things up rather nicely. I'm grateful for my sister. She's the best! I can hardly wait until we live closer to each other; at least I really hope that happens someday.

3 comments:

  1. This was a fun post to read. You are blessed to have wonderful sisters and they, too, are blessed to have you as a sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOW did we get so lucky with the kids and their mates in our families. I love you
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, sis! That was a really great post, and I loved everything you wrote about Rachel... and me. You are so thoughtful to write these things, because sometimes its important to remember how loved you are. Thank you for reminding me!

    Love you forever!

    ReplyDelete